Monday, July 23, 2007

paperback writer

I've liked Dr. Bacon from the start. I don't know if it was the twinkle in his eye, the tanned skin suggesting he appreciates time in the outdoors, or the calm and confident way he talked about my procedure, making me feel from the very beginning that it was not nearly as big of a deal as I'd previously thought. Overall I was completely satisfied and happy with my doctor and didn't think he needed to do anything to further prove himself to me.

Well, Dr. Bacon, you've outdone yourself.

So there I was, Friday morning around 7am, lined up outside my local Borders, desperate to get an orange wristband that would be the key to my being one of the first in the Provo/Orem area to obtain a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. As I stood chatting with Mandy, I noticed that a few spaces behind me in line was Brother Simpson, a former bishopric member of mine. Sorry to any non-LDS reading this and confused by the lingo--just go with it. Naturally Brother Simpson asked me all about what's been going on with me lately and one of the first things to come up was the fact that I've had a pretty ridiculous year, health-wise. I told him about my thyroid troubles, and then told him in a few weeks I'd be having surgery to have my spine straightened, because I had scoliosis. At this, I noticed the man directly behind me in line perk up and whip his head around to listen to my conversation. Normally I'd be slightly put off by such blatant eavesdropping, but I have to admit that it kind of is a weird/interesting thing to overhear someone talking about, and I'd have probably eavesdropped too.

After talking to Brother Simpson a few more minutes about it, I managed to get a glimpse of the face of the man so obviously listening to me talking, who was now smiling about what I was saying. It wasn't just some creep who was morbidly amused by the idea of major surgeries--Dr. Bacon! I wasn't entirely sure it was him, because I've only actually seen him in person once, and apparently scrubs and glasses make a big difference in a person's identifiability (pretend it's a word). Maybe Superman's disguise wasn't so far-fetched after all.

Once I recognized him and was fairly sure it was indeed C. William Bacon, MD, I asked, "hey, are you my doctor?" to which he replied, "are you Madam Keck?" Three cheers for doctors who remember their patients names. And about eighty seven cheers for doctors who spend their Friday mornings waiting in lines to get Harry Potter books Friday nights. This is definitely the doctor for me. It was pretty funny, plus I got a free consultation while standing in line. Not bad.

Oh, he recommended that I only fix the top curve. So, there's that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love when doctors know who you are--I haven't had a doctor like that in years and years.

I also love reading your blog.

The end.

-Janae

Matsby said...

I don't know anything about anything, but I was thinking about how he suggests you only straighten the top curve.

It seems like your bottom curve makes you go left and then your top curve makes you go right again - putting you back in the middle.

But if you fix just the top, won't that leave you going left?

Also did he say why you should just do the one curve?

Anonymous said...

So did you see him "queued up" at midnight? I am gla dhe remembered you. I am going to trust that the doctor knows what is best, and let him fix what he thinks he should.