Friday, July 13, 2007

drive my car

One thing I've been wondering about my surgery recovery is when I'll be able to drive again. When I had my thyroid removed in January, I discovered that even though I felt pretty healthy overall after a few weeks, I still couldn't drive due to the acute pain I found myself in at even the slightest turn of the head. It was pretty frustrating to feel normal besides that one little thing, but to still either be stuck at home or be totally dependent on others for rides. I suppose I could have risked it and driven anyway, throwing peripheral vision to the wind, but I'm too much of an obsessive blind-spot-checker for that to have ever worked. So naturally I'm concerned again about how long I'm going to have to go without spending any good quality time with my darling Civic, and today I learned the answer. Four to six weeks. Egads! That is a long time of being chauffeured around! Granted, the majority of that time I won't want to be leaving the comfort of my bed anyway, but I have a feeling that I'm eventually going to want to be able to get up and go and my body won't want to let me. I guess it will be my own little taste of what it's like to have a suspended license. No worries about me pulling a Paris Hilton though. I promise I'll stay off the roads until I'm fully capable of looking all the way over both shoulders.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will get to be the main chauffeur, and I am looking forward to it.

Karon said...

I didn't realize that the surgery would affect your driving, but of course, that makes sense. Well, at least you don't have to feel guilty for not going out and doing stuff. Not that you would. Mostly I'm just trying to say I feel for you and I hope that it won't be that bad.

ashley said...

I'm so sad that I won't be here to come and visit you during the day while you are healing - you and I both know I need things to do during the day. And I should help chauffeur once or twice - it's only fair after you drive me and my donut around. But if you ever need an online or phone friend during the day, I'm here. Or there as it may be.

T.R. said...

hey, how many people get to take a month off from traffic jams, car trouble, parking, and buying gas?

also, this means you can spend more time losing to me at internet scrabble.