Wednesday, September 26, 2007

nowhere man

I'm mostly here right now so as to prove myself not to be a liar. I did, after all, promise that there would be more to come. Fortunately I didn't assign myself any deadline for that event, because I surely would be long overdue by now if I had. I've meant to write, really I have. There are so many excuses to give: limited sitting-up ability, no internet access at home, dedicating my time to recovering rather than writing about it, etc. And of course there is that all too familiar problem of the longer you put off doing something, the more of it there is to be done, and so then you are even more reluctant to start it at all. Regardless. Here I am. So much has happened!

To settle the big question first, I am doing well. Quite well, to be specific. One of the sadder proofs of that is the fact that I am now at work (don't tell anyone I said that, Janae). Besides the one downside of having to again behave the part of a gainfully employed member of society, though, there are a lot of great things about starting to feel semi-normal again. For one, I get to drive my car. I did miss it. And I get to park it in handicap spots once I get to my desired destination. I'm pretty sure that little bonus is never going to get old. Plus I get to perform basic tasks like getting myself ready for the day, going to the store, participating in social interaction, and so on. I still feel like I'm adjusting--it's weird how "normal" life can feel so strange after two months of not doing any of it. Plus, most of it hurts, at least to some extent. I'm basically off of my pain medication, more due to choice than to a lack of need for it, so I don't really do a lot before I get too tired and need to rest. Still, I'm progressing.

Yesterday my mom went home. It was a sad day for me. Not only did it make it perfectly clear that I am now officially on my own, it also represented a great decline in fun in my life. The whole time she was here I always had someone to hang out with and do things with and laugh with, and now there will obviously be a lot more alone time. But that's how I'd generally preferred it for the two years before Mom was here, I'm sure I'll be used to it again in no time. Still, my mom is really fun. Seriously.

The first time I typed the thing about always having someone around, I accidentally wrote "to hag out with." That's kind of hilarious, especially as something to be said about spending time with your mom.

Okay, the intent was to write about all the millions of changes and hardships and developments that have happened in the process of getting to where I am now, but I don't think it's really going to happen. There's just too much. To sum it all up, yes getting through surgery recovery is really hard, but yes it is a lot easier when you have people helping you every step of the way. Dad and Erica came out for a while too, and it was incredible having my whole family, except some little dancing burrito that was missing, help me move and clean and get settled and make sure I had everything I need to be comfortable and happy. I'm still working on getting my back strong and healthy and not so hurty, but I can definitely say that the worst is behind me. Hooray.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally an update! "Hagging out" is definitely going to become part of my vocabulary. Maybe I should make a post about all the fun things we did. Of course, it would be way too long, because we had way too much fun, despite the fact that you were usually in pain. I love you and miss you.

Anonymous said...

Yea! She lives!!!!!

Senja said...

great you feel better, tracy!! :) feel hugged! or should i say: feel hagged? ;)

Anonymous said...

I won't tell--I'd be bummed too.

-Janae

Price said...

I didn't know you had a blogger too. How exciting. Mine seems to have a little more upkeep than yours, though not a ton.

Pace said...

Is there more to come now? or can we delete this page from our bookmarks?